Monday, March 06, 2006

The Fiercest Test Yet

I was feeling rather sunshiny. I still am actually, but having seen yesterday's Yahoo news item (seen below), I am not going to keep my political mouth shut.

Even though I don't agree with abortion, I think abortion is the most personal decision a woman can make. I still believe that abortion comes under a woman's (and actually a man's) right to choose.

I think in today's society with so much prevention available, even in a bathroom of the clubs, I have a hard time understanding why abortion is a common choice. I think the ease in choosing abortion may have more to do with how women see themselves in the sexual process. Which is sad. The self esteem issues, the fear, the ignorance... sad sigh.

In this time of my life, I understand what a young woman can't see beyond and know her life is not over. I can't condemn what people don't know or what fear is preventing them from knowing.

I've never been a situation where I needed an abortion, but I've been to the clinic with two of my friends. Once in high school and once in college. I've seen the protesters outside the clinic who claim so much love and spew hate. Those are the people who terrify me.

I've seen the psychological effects of the process on the women who underwent the procedures then and now. I have a different friend now who rips herself apart because she can't have children. Women who can't seem to help each other.

The person I am today, who wants children and realistically may not have any is against abortion at a very personal level. Yet I still advocate the right of choice because women are left on their own to fend for their health. Women need to be in charge of their health and women's health issues are not taken seriously enough.

The argument over the issue is a sad one. I have no answers, but if I remembered correctly, the Supreme Court ruled that abortion was legal because of privacy rights implied in the First, Ninth and Fourteenth Amendments. Because privacy rights are sacred, I am scared for this law to be overturned. (on more than just abortion issues, but I'll save that post for another day.)

Yahoo News Item on Abortion

S.D. Governor Signs Abortion Ban Into Law

PIERRE, S.D. - Gov. Mike Rounds signed legislation Monday banning nearly all abortions in South Dakota, setting up a court fight aimed at challenging the 1973
U.S. Supreme Court' decision that legalized abortion.

The bill would make it a crime for doctors to perform an abortion unless the procedure was necessary to save the woman's life. It would make no exception for cases of rape or incest.

No comments: