Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The Thin Man


With the Oscars fresh and inspiration rambling in my head by this post from Neil, I decided to write about my favorite romantic comedies. Just feeling the springtime.

The Thin Man series makes my all time favorite movies list and best romantic comedy. Why? There was COMEDY in that them there romantic comedy.

The dialogue was subtle and startled laughter right out of you. The brilliant writing team of Albert Haclutt and Frances Goodrich have no equal. The story is no where near the match of the dialogue but the dialogue....

Nora: (commenting on another character's beauty) Pretty girl.
Nick: Yes, she's a very nice type.
Nora: You got types?
Nick: Only you, darling. Lanky brunettes with wicked jaws.

Maybe seems cheesy, but I like my cheese and this cheese was excellent. William Powell, Nick, and Myrna Loy, Nora, were geniuses of comedic timing. Doris Day and Rock Hudson had nothing on them.

I wish the current movie world would take lessons from The Thin Man series. I'll take brilliant wit and dialogue any day over cookie cutter stories.

Just musing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And you're forgetting Asta, the best dog-actor ever.